Friday, February 20, 2009

Reaction: "A Walk to the Jetty" by: Jamaica Kincaid


This story has left a warm feeling in my heart because it reminded me of the moment I had to leave my parents to go to the university. Everything I saw reminded me of my childhood, just like her. I think that's like a psychology way of saying goodbye and moving on.

At first it was like "Annie doesn't have a heart how can she not feel sad about leaving to another country and never coming back". I cried a lot and I see them on Christmas and summer, how can she not cry about not seeing them forever. At the same time in a way I understood she wanted to go away, as much as she loves her mother she couldn't stand her anymore and for the well being of both of them they had to be apart.

The way she described all the memories that came to her mind while walking the street towards the Jetty were beautifully described, she made them so real that while I was reading I was imagining them. That walk for me was what gave the story it's heart warming feeling and the part of the goodbye too, of course.

She was an adult now and she had to begin her own life now. As much as it's hurts there will always be different types of separations in life and those are the one that make us stronger and they help us value more life and our surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment