Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reaction: "The Use of Force" by: William Carlos Williams


It's a really interesting short story, because my dream is to become a doctor and in a situation like this I wouldn't know if I would act like the Doctor from the story or if I would act differently.

The title "The Use of Force" it's really peculiar because that kind of usage of force is not bad or aggressive. When I first read "The Use of Force" I thought that it was going to be a short story about a criminal or even a policeman. But that wasn't the case, it was about a doctor who had to use his physical force to examine a young girls' throat and that way determine if the girl had a fatal disease.

It's a weird theme for a story, it feels more like an article from a doctors "What to do in this kind of situation " manual, but for me it was interesting and it has a lot of different conflicts going on, it's not just the sick girls it is to the parents. I think the Doctor did what he had to, he came with good intentions and a plan but the girl had another plan of her own. At least the use of his force on her maybe was the action that saved that girl's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment